Smelt season opens: 1 November and closes 28 February each year.
Permits can be obtained by visiting one of our Offices in Turangi and Taupo.
- Available to registered beneficiaries of the Tuwharetoa Maori Trust Board.
- Permits must be carried at all times by the holder when fishing and must be produced on demand by the Conservation Officer.
- The maximum amount of smelt that can be taken by the permit holder is 2 litres per day over the designated 7 day period.
- Smelt fishing is allowed in the Tokaanu Tailrace and anywhere around the lake shore except within 300 metres of any stream or river mouth.
- The taking of smelt outside of the hours of 6am to 9pm on any day is not permitted.
- Only one (1) net may be used by the permit holder and party.
- Any net is restricted to a maximum length of 8 metres, and a depth of 0.9 metres.
The Record of Smelt taken must be returned to the Tuwharetoa Maori Trust Board.
For further information, please contact our office.
Phone: 07 386 8832 or 07 376 5086