The Tuwharetoa Maori Trust Board was established pursuant to the Maori Land Amendment Act 1924 and Maori Land Claims Adjustment Act 1926. The Trust Board later became a Maori Trust Board established by legislation to administer the Trust Board’s assets for the benefit of present and future generations of Ngati Tuwharetoa. The Trust Board became a statutory entity in 1931 pursuant to the Maori Purposes Act 1931 and is currently constituted by the Maori Trust Boards Act 1955.
The Trust Board administers Taupo Waters on behalf of and for the benefit of present and future generations of Ngati Tuwharetoa. The Trust Board is committed to maintaining and enhancing the health and wellbeing of Taupo Waters, and enabling Ngati Tuwharetoa to achieve our social, cultural, environmental and economic goals and aspirations.
The Tuwharetoa Maori Trust Board was established in 1926.
The first members of the Trust Board were appointed on the 15th November 1926. These members were:
- Hoani Te Heuheu (Tukino VI)
- Pau Mariu
- Kahu Te Kuru
- Paora Rokino
- Pitiroi Mohi
- Taite Te Tomo
- Takinga Arthur Grace
- Werihe Te Tuiri
The first Trust Board meeting was held at Tokaanu on the 24th November 1926. Hoani Te Heuheu was elected as the first Chairman and Puataata Alfred Grace as the first Secretary.