The Ngāti Tūwharetoa - Mercury Development Group was established as a result of a partnership agreement between Ngāti Tūwharetoa and Mighty River Power (now Mercury) in October 2002.
The Development Group is charged with the task of supporting Ngāti Tūwharetoa in cultural, educational and environmental projects.
This application provides details of the Group's objectives and the application criteria for Tūwharetoa Hosted Events, Wānanga, Cultural Significant Trips and all Environmental and other projects.
The 'project objectives' section is one of the most important parts of the application.
In order to accurately assess your application, the development group needs to be able to understand the objectives of your project and how these relate to the key objectives of this group.
The 'project plan & budget' should detail the steps that you intend to undertake with costs throughout the implementation
of the project in order to enable the group to clearly understand what is being proposed.
The key objectives of the Development Group are:
To enhance the spiritual and cultural relationship of Ngāti Tūwharetoa with Lake Taupō and the Waikato River and related taonga,
and including supporting programmes intended to address loss and erosion of mana, historical knowledge, tikanga, kawa and identity,
including identifying, preserving and protecting (where appropriate) wahi tapu.
- To conduct environmental enhancement projects, remedial works and scientific studies in and around Lake Taupō, the Waikato River and adjacent lands.
- To facilitate the exercise by Ngāti Tūwharetoa of their kaitiakitanga by supporting activities and projects that have that effect.
- Applicant must be of Ngāti Tūwharetoa descent and registered with the Tūwharetoa Māori Trust Board.
- The applicant must clearly demonstrate how the proposal will contribute to achieving the key objective of the group.
The criteria for those applying for 'Hapū/Wānanga Assistance' is as follows:
- Applications must be held at a Tūwharetoa marae.
- Applications are assessed on their merit with a cap of $2000 per wānanga.
- Whanau wānanga are considered.
- Do not cover Administration or Project Management costs.
The criteria for those applying for 'Tūwharetoa Hosted Events' is as follows:
With the limited budget available to the Ngāti Tūwharetoa Mercury Development Group the following Tūwharetoa Hosted Events will be funded for the 2021-2022 Financial Year;
Tūwharetoa Marae Sports Challenge, Te Taiopenga O Tūwharetoa Kapa Haka, Kaumatua Dinner, Waitangi Festival, Tūwharetoa Fishing Competition.
- The group will consider others on a case by case basis pending remaining budget.
The criteria for those applying for 'Rangatahi Programs' is as follows:
- The Ngāti Tūwharetoa Mercury Development Group will have a dedicated budget line for all Rangatahi applications.
- Applications will be assessed once a year in October.
- Your program must demonstrate how it drives capacity within our rangatahi.
The criteria for those applying for 'Environmental / Waahi Tapu and Oral History Projects' is as follows:
- You must provide a detailed plan and budget outlining step by step the process which will be undertaken and costs.
- You must have the relevant Hapu, Land Owners, Council permissions to undertake the mahi. Proof of this is required.
- You must outline how their project aligns to the Ngāti Tūwharetoa Mercury Development Group Objectives.
- Applications will be assessed on their merit.
- You must clearly demonstrate how the project will be sustained once completed.
Preference will be given to those applications that have wide benefit and clearly show how the outcomes will be
communicated to Ngāti Tūwharetoa at whanau, hapū and/or Iwi level.
- Preference will be given those proposals that provide written support from hapū and other parties/organisations.
If successful, the applicant will be required to provide written feedback to the group on the outcome of
their proposal and if required a breakdown of the budget.
The applicant will also be asked to report back to the group at a suitable time.
The group retains the right to withdraw any funding if agreed project time frames have not been met
and/or there has been no communication between the parties.
- The decisions made by the Development Group are final.
Minutes from trustee and/or hapū meeting must accompany application form with your letter of support from Hapū/Marae/Trust.
The committee will not accept:
- Applications that are incomplete or require further information.
- Projects that will result in direct commercial profits or may be more appropriately funded from other sources.
- Projects that have been completed prior to applying for funding.