The Ngāti Tūwharetoa - Mercury Development Group was established as a result of a partnership agreement between Ngāti Tūwharetoa and Mighty River Power (now Mercury) in October 2002.
The Development Group is charged with the task of supporting Ngāti Tūwharetoa in cultural, educational and environmental projects.
This application provides details of the Group's objectives and the application criteria for individuals or schools wishing to apply for funding assistances for education or sporting initiatives.
Undertake activities and promote projects to improve the education, employment opportunities, health and well-being of ngā hapū o Ngāti Tūwharetoa
- Applicant must be of Ngāti Tūwharetoa descent and registered with the Tūwharetoa Māori Trust Board.
- The applicant must clearly demonstrate how the proposal will contribute to achieving the key objective of the group.
The criteria for those applying for 'Education Assistance' is as follows:
The Ngāti Tūwharetoa Mercury Development Group will assist Tūwharetoa who are actively involved with their Iwi/Hapū/Marae
and are seeking to further their education aspirations for the Taiao. (at this stage only looking at supporting those studying at a Post Graduate/Master/Doctorate level)
The criteria for those applying for 'Leadership Assistance' is as follows:
The Ngāti Tūwharetoa Mercury Development Group assist Tūwharetoa who are involved with their Iwi/Hapū/Marae and demonstrate how their application supports ahi kaa -
Support from their Iwi/Hapū/Marae is required.
- The Ngāti Tūwharetoa Mercury Development Group will also assist Tūwharetoa Schools within the rohe for culturally significant trips which grow our future leaders.
The criteria for those applying for 'Sporting Assistance' is as follows:
Those selected to represent their region and New Zealand at an international and/or national competition will be considered
(written confirmation from the national body with an outline of tournament and costs is required).
- Regional and National Development Team selection up to $500 / National selection up to $1000 (Does not cover uniforms).
- The Ngāti Tūwharetoa Mercury Development Group does not cover selection into a development team.
Preference will be given to those applications that have wide benefit and clearly show how the outcomes will be
communicated to Ngāti Tūwharetoa at hapū and/or iwi level.
- Preference will be given those proposals that provide written support from hapū and other parties/organisations.
If successful, the applicant will be required to provide written feedback to the committee on the outcome of
their proposal and if required a breakdown of the budget.
The applicant will also be asked to report back to the committee at a suitable time.
- The committee retains the right to withdraw any funding if there has been no communication between the parties.
- The decisions made by the Development Group are final.
The committee will not accept:
- Applications that are incomplete or require further information.
- Applications that may be more appropriately funded from other sources.
- Funding requested for sporting uniform costs.
- Projects that have been completed prior to applying for funding.
All enquiries to be directed to:
Project Coordinator - Raina Ferris-Bretherton
Phone: +64 7 386 8832